Monday 21 January 2013

Wither by Lauren Destefano


Wither by Lauren Destefano
                             
Book Blurb

In our brave new future, DNA engineering has resulted in a terrible genetic flaw. Women die at the age of 20, men at 25. Young girls are being abducted and forced to breed in a desperate attempt to keep humanity ahead of the disease that threatens to eradicate it.
16-year-old Rhine Ellery is kidnapped and sold as a bride to Linden, a rich young man with a dying wife. Even though he is kind to her, Rhine is desperate to escape her gilded cage – and Linden’s cruel father. With the help of Gabriel, a servant she is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to break free, in what little time she has left.


Fantastic Fiction Book Description

By age sixteen, Rhine Ellery has four years left to live. She can thank modern science for this genetic time bomb. A botched effort to create a perfect race has left all males with a lifespan of 25 years, and females with a lifespan of 20 years. Geneticists are seeking a miracle antidote to restore the human race, desperate orphans crowd the population, crime and poverty have skyrocketed, and young girls are being kidnapped and sold as polygamous brides to bear more children.

When Rhine is kidnapped and sold as a bride, she vows to do all she can to escape. Her husband, Linden, is hopelessly in love with her, and Rhine can't bring herself to hate him as much as she'd like to. He opens her to a magical world of wealth and illusion she never thought existed, and it almost makes it possible to ignore the clock ticking away her short life. But Rhine quickly learns that not everything in her new husband's strange world is what it seems. Her father-in-law, an eccentric doctor bent on finding the antidote, is hoarding corpses in the basement. Her fellow sister wives are to be trusted one day and feared the next, and Rhine is desperate to communicate to her twin brother that she is safe and alive. Will Rhine be able to escape--before her time runs out?



I ordered this book online after reading about it online, I waited a few weeks before it finally was released and came in the mail. I started reading it that second and whilst it started off great I slowed down towards the middle. A good book that by the end I found a great book. Set in the future it gives you a look into what  a desperate race would do in order to save itself, kidnapping young girls and forcing them to have babies when they themselves are still babies.
Before Wither arrived I read a few reviews by people whom had received an ARC and they were negative, giving me the impression the book wasn’t that good but saying that, I gave the book a chance and once finished I cannot wait for the second installment in the series.
I give this book 4/5 stars. Its written well and I want to continue reading the series but when in the middle it dropped off I think that’s where it lost its star. I would still recommend people read this because whilst it might not be my favorite I still loved it, it could also end up being your favorite if you just give it a chance.

Rhine- Beautiful, strong and smart, all the things we want in a main character yet I still found something missing. More needed to be said about her growing up.

Linden- is a sweet caring man,its heartbreaking to see him so upset in parts of this book. He is sweet to all the girls he marries and doesn’t push them into anything. He might be sweet but I still am very disgusted at him and the fact that he lets his father control him and his life.

Gabriel is that guy you just love, almost every book has one. He is sweet and funny and totally loyal to those he cares about.

Overall I say its not a bad book, I enjoyed it and whilst its not in my top 10 its still pretty high up. I love how it will make you cry and laugh and all those things a good book can make you do whilst still living in a fantasy world. 

By Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...